Critical thinkers worthy of the name ought to be concerned with all of the following issues. Rather than rehash what is all over the net, I’ve just provided some links to a few concise and longer explanations of key concepts pertaining to veganism.
Veganism, it should be emphasized, is not just about diet, it is an act of boycotting, it is a political and social justice movement.
- Huge Animal Rights History Resource
- The Animals Rights Library – Classic Authors and Texts
- The Animals Rights Library – Modern Authors and Texts
- Gary L. Francione – Excerpt from Introduction to Animal Rights: Your Child or the Dog?
- Steven Wise – Nonhuman Rights Project
- David Robertson Simon – Meatonomics
- Clive Philips – Why Weren’t We Told?
- Steve Best – Total Liberation and Moral Progress: The Struggle for Human Evolution
- Richard Dawkins – Gaps in the Mind
- Peter Singer – Darwin and the Animals (transcribed from the lecture by me)
- Peter Singer – Animals and Ethics
- Peter Singer – A Darwinian Left for Today and Beyond
- David Foster Wallace – Consider the Lobster
- Jack Norris, Registered Dietitian on Vegan Health
- Giny Messina, Vegan Dietitian at The Vegan R.D.
- Vegan Body Building and Fitness
- United Nations Report – Livestock’s Long Shadow: Environmental Issues and Options
- Worldwatch Institute Report – Livestock and Climate Change: What if the key actors in climate change are…cows, pigs, and chickens?
- Failure of environmental organizations – Cowspiracy
- Rolling Stone – Pork’s Dirty Secret
- Center For Global Development – Non-therapeutic Use of Antibiotics in Animal Agriculture, Corresponding Resistance Rates, and What Can be Done About It
- CDC Report – Agricultural Antibiotics Responsible for Superbugs or Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria
Animal Industrial Complex
- Richard Twine – Revealing the “Animal-Industrial Complex” – A Concept & Method for Critical Animal Studies? (p. 12)
- Other Nations – The Animal Industrial Complex: The Monster in Our Midst
- J. M. Coetzee – Exposing the Beast: Factory Farming Must be Called to the Slaughterhouse
- Washington Post – They Die Piece By Piece
- New York Times – Agribusiness Welfare Handouts
- Daily Pitchfork – Welfare Ranchers of the American West
- Steve Johnson – The Politics of Meat
- Will Potter – Green is the New Red